Emotionally intelligent husband

Over the years, I have learned how important it is to have examples to look up to and want to emulate. Some of these role models for me include my grandparents and my parents. Both my grandparents and parents are quick to forgive and have worked hard to have strong marriages. Someone that I look up to in the scriptures is the prophet of old Lehi and his wife Sariah. The Book of Mormon teaches us about the hardships that they went through, as well as their joys and successes. They were a family of having gold, silver, and many riches, but they it all to follow the will of the Lord. In 1 Nephi 5, we read that Nephi and his brother were delayed in their returning for the brass plates. Sariah, supposing her sons to be dead, also complained against Lehi, accusing him of being a foolish old man (1 Nephi 5:2). I can totally understand Sariah, but we learn in Goddard’s book that when we feel irritated with our spouse, that irritation is not an invitation to call our spouses to repentance but an invitation to call ourselves to repent.

I admire Lehi’s response to this particular situation. He did not yell back at her, but instead he looked outside of himself, let down any pride, agreed with her, and comforted her. He was an emotionally intelligent husband. What an example of humility and repentance! Goddard also says, “When we have the ‘mind of Christ,’ we see our spouses in a new way.” In Gottman’s study, he found that men who allowed their wives to influence them had happier relationships, but on the other hand, 80% of husbands who resisted their wives’ influence would end up in a self-destructing relationship. Needless to say, I am proud of Lehi’s response to his worried and frustrated wife. His response did not escalate his wife’s negativity. Instead of damaging the relationship by using one or more of the four horsemen, he respected her point of view and made it known to her that what she was thinking and worried about was important to him.

I have enjoyed including my husband by teaching him all that I am learning from this marriage class. From the little tidbits of information that I have shared with him, I can see that my husband has been so much more aware of ways that he can be an emotionally intelligent husband. I can see how he is making his career less of a priority and making his family life a greater priority. We know that our greatest success will be in the walls of our own home. He is so good at keeping a detailed love map of my world. He communicates it his fondness and admiration for me by turning toward me in his daily actions. I know that someday he will be an amazing father because he will be familiar with his children’s world.

 I am so excited for the future. Although we are nowhere close to being perfect, I know that the future is bright with a great husband by my side. Of course, just like Lehi and Sariah, there will be times of difficult and trial, but if we are humble and repentant, then all things will work out. 

No comments