Pioneer Trek--the day we became Ma & Pa!

Back at the beginning of the year, we were asked to be MA & PA BOYD for our stake's trek in the summer. We were so excited and felt privileged to be able to work with the youth and be their parents for a few days. I found it super weird because I feel like I was just one of them not too long ago! 

Let's just say, we went from 0-8 kids in a matter of minutes and we called all of our 8 children our first born! 


I remember going on the stake trek the summer before my sophomore year. All the youth in my ward called it "Fat Camp" because we didn't eat and we pushed and pulled all day. I felt like we had the real pioneer experience. That summer, I remember my testimony grew so much. I was hoping that it wouldn't be so intense this time around and I'm happy to say that it was wonderful! The stake did such an amazing job!

We walked and walked and pushed and pulled. We all felt a great appreciation for our pioneer ancestors. I thought about my own pioneer ancestors who sacrificed so much so that we could enjoy the blessings of the gospel today. 

Funny story--our kids were pushing the cart, so Pa Boyd and I stayed back, holding hands as we walked behind the cart. One of the stake leaders was sitting on his horse watching all the youth and carts pass. He whispered to his wife, while pointing at Grant and I. He told his wife that they needed to talk to the bishop because "those kids" can't be holding hands. His wife then said to him,"Honey, those aren't youth, they are a ma and pa!" haha. When we heard this story we just laughed! I can't tell you how many times during the week we were mistaken to be youth. 


My favorite day was Thursday when we made it to base camp. All kinds of different pioneer games were set up for us, like tug of war (pictured below), a dance, knife throwing (eek!), pioneer photobooth, watermelon seed spitting, crack the whip, making homemade biscuits, etc. We had a real good time. 


The best part was the bond that was created within our own family and ward. The youth really bonded and we all felt such a love for one another. I truly believe that the spirit ties and connects people. I loved sitting around the campfire at night listening to testimonies and talking about the days activities.


On the last day was the famous "Women's Pull." Signs like this were placed all along the trail...




We pushed and pulled with all of our strength up this long, rocky hills-without the boys' help. It was tough, but I can honestly say that all of us did really feel as if someone was helping us lighten our load. The boys watched on the side as we struggled and I could tell that they wanted to help so badly. At the last minute, as we struggled to finish the pull, they boys came and helped us make it to the top. I really felt the love of my Savior. Sometimes in life, we feel like we can hardly make it to the top, but we have our Savior who came make up the rest when we can't. I am so thankful for that.

The talented Pa Boyd playing the ukulele for our kiddos...

Another funny story--for some reason on the trail, Grant hurt his leg really badly and could hardly walk without limping. He was in real pain. Our kids were so awesome as they helped their old pa. They piled him onto the wagon and pushed him for a few good miles! I was so impressed. I didn't hear one complaint. They loved their pa and would do anything to help him. Crazy thing is once we got home, Grant was healed! Sounds to me that we needed that learning experience.

Making church dolls out of cloth and lavender! So cute!

What a great experience we had! It was a great time, but no gonna lie, I was so excited to come home and take a shower and sleep on a nice bed. We have so many blessings. The most fun was coming to church the next Sunday, reuniting with our families, and hearing everyone share their stories and testimonies of the trek.

No comments